The Heisman Trophy has long been one of the most revered honors that any NCA Division 1 football player can receive. It is given to the player who is considered the “most outstanding Divison One player.”
It is a great honor. Autographed memorabilia, from players having received the Heisman trophy, is in high demand and the prices reflect that.
visit website to see what we mean.
An Abridged History
This award was first established back in 1935 by the New York City Downtown Athletic Club (DCA) to recognize “the best player East of the Mississippi.” Just a year later, it was renamed to its current moniker in memory of the late John Heisman, one of the DAC club directors.
Frank Eliscu is the designer that sculpted the original Heisman trophy. Its very noticeable shape is attributed to Ed Smith. Smith was a former friend of Eliscu and a famed player for BYU in 1934. He was easily recognized by the way he carried the ball tucked tight under his right arm.
Interestingly enough, it wasn’t until 1982 that Smith realized that his form was the Heisman trophy inspiration. The DAC gifted a Heisman trophy to Smith in 1985.
The trophy is handcrafted year after year. Even though they appear to be the same, each is unique.
Pleaseview online source here.
How a Winner is Chosen
First, 1000 ballots are sent to determine the finalists. There are six national regions and most of the ballots go to sports journalists. However, former Heisman winners also get a chance to vote.
The process is kept a secret. When they have a list of finalists, the players are flown to New York City.
During a magnificent ceremony, the player is announced and the Heisman trophy is bestowed upon them.
Heisman winners rarely decide to sell their trophy so if you come across one for sale be sure to do extensive research. Do not let a fraudster take advantage of you!
So far this century, there have been 17 Heisman trophy winners.
- 2000 – Chris Weinke, quarterback, Florida State. He was the oldest player, at 28, to receive the Heisman trophy.
- 2001 – Eric Crouch, quarterback, Nebraska.
- 2002 – Carson Palmer, quarterback, USC.
- 2003 – Jason White, quarterback, Oklahoma.
- 2004 – Matt Leinart, quarterback, USC.
- 2005 – Reggie Bush, running back, USC.
- 2006 – Troy Smith, quarterback, Ohio State.
- 2007 – Tim Tebow, quarterback, Florida. Tebow has the honor of being the first underclassmen to earn the Heisman.
- 2008 – Sam Bradford, quarterback, Oklahoma.
- 2009 – Mark Ingram, running back, Alabama.
- 2010 – Cam Newton, quarterback, Auburn.
- 2011 – Robert Griffin, quarterback, Baylor.
- 2012 – Johnny Manziel, quarterback, Texas A&M.
- 2013 – Jameis Winston, quarterback, Florida State.
- 2014 – Marcus Mariota, quarterback, Oregon.
- 2015 – Derrick Henry, running back, Alabama.
- 2016 – Lamar Jackson, quarterback, Louisville. He was the youngest player to get the Heisman.
- 2017 – Baker Mayfield, quarterback, Oklahoma.
Memorabilia regarding Heisman trophy winners is well-liked and great to find.get more information